I am happy to advise graduate and undergraduate student projects in Sociology and Global Studies on a number of topics, such as:
- globalization and culture
- global literature (including film)
- visual culture (especially photography and documentary film)
- migration and refugees (especially from humanities perspectives)
- critical development studies (again, from humanities perspectives)
- identity politics (including gender, race, ethnicity, class)
- policing and security (especially ethnographic studies of 'the everyday')
- social movements
- critical theory
- cultural studies
If you are considering a topic that I have not listed here, yet you think I am the right person to advise you anyway, please contact me and discuss your idea.
Masters Thesis Advising
Nursyazwani bte Jamaludin, Sociology
- Title TBD
Amoz Hor, Political Science
- "'The Local' in the Humanitarian Psyche: How Emotions of Humanitarian Workers Mediate Everyday Practices"
Graduate Independent Study Module Supervision
Nursyazwani bte Jamaludin
- "Emotion, Feeling, Affect: Framing Refugee Studies"
Honours Thesis Advising
Cheryl Tan Wan Mei, Sociology, 2018
- Title TBD (music buskers in Singapore)
Fadhil Alsagoff, Global Studies, 2018
- Title TBD (Hadrami sadaa Muslims in Singapore, negotiating modernities)
Shih Shih-Yu, Global Studies, 2017
- "Global Cities Under Postcolonial Urbanization: Copenhagen, Mumbai, Singapore"
Constance Siew, Global Studies, 2017
- "Interpretations of Cosmopolitanism: ASEAN and EU"
Natalie Chia, Political Science, 2016
- "The Practice of Refugee Everyday Life: Syrian Refugees in Kuala Lumpur"
Derek Wong, Political Science, 2016
- "The Press Released? An Analysis of the Freedom of The Straits Times Based on Migrant Labor Issues of 2012-2013"
Lee Qin Sheng, Political Science, 2015
- "Critiquing the Liberal Paradox of Migration: Migration Management in the EU, Qatar, and Singapore"
Undergraduate Independent Study Module Supervision
Joanna Ng, Global Studies, 2017
- Title TBD
Michelle Loke Yook Lin, Political Science, 2017
- "The Politics of Oriental Women's Bodies: Cinema, Visual Pleasure, and Gendered Sexual Violence"
Muhammad Khairul bin Abdul Rahim, Global Studies, 2016
- "Global Health (Inequalities) for All?"
Isis Iskandar, Political Science, 2016
- "Rally 'Round the Hashtag: Twitter as Feminist Counterpublic in #Bringbackourgirls"
Natalie Chia, Political Science, 2015
- "Ethnographic Tools in Migrant Political Space"
Global Studies Internship
Diyanah Nasuha bte Omar Bahri, NUS Museum, 2017